Author Topic: Problem Adler Barbour Thermostat  (Read 7602 times)

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Problem Adler Barbour Thermostat
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:14:53 am »

Problem Adler Barbour Thermostat

I believe my thermostat is bad on my Adler Barbour refrigerator unit, should i replace with original or universal? How important is the U bend at the end of cap tube? Problem it runs continually, disconnect thermostat wire stops unit.

ANSWER
Only time I have seen a bad standard snap action thermostat is either the
knob shaft is frozen and can not be freed up with WD40 or small temperature sense tube is broken.
Adler Barbour calls for the last five inches of tube be bent into a U shape and
clamped under evaporator bracket provided. There are generally three
temperature ranges for refrigeration thermostats, Refrigerator, freezer and Cooler.
Thermostats used on thin plate evaporators like AB only sense evaporator
temperatures not box temperature other type’s sense box temperature. I prefer
the standard snap action thermostats for refrigerators as they are not easily damaged. I believe AB used a Danfoss thermostat with a temperature range of -13 to + 38 degrees F. To achieve correct temperature range at least 4+ inches at end of thermostat’s temperature sense tube must clamped under evaporator plate provided for this purpose.

Richard Kollmann

bumatsea

Re: Problem Adler Barbour Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:32:56 am »
After 8 or so years thermostat on AB cold plate rusted and seized in place. I ordered replacement on line but no matter how much I bend that "J" or how many spacers i put between the cold plate and the J it will only work for a couple of minutes. I suspect that replacement I've received is designed for the different range of temperatures as I'm able to run the fridge with the sensing tube wrapped in poly foam suspended mid air. I'd like to get a correct model but don'r know the model # . Any recommendation for AB parts source would be appreciated very much. Thank you 

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:13:24 pm »
Sounds like thermostat's temperature sense tube is in contact with evaporator or cold tubing some place it should not be. Make sure sense tube's only contact with cold is under the evaporator clamp plate.

If this does not correct problem I will locate correct thermostat for you.

bumatsea

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:34:23 pm »
Thank you very much for responding.
After spending 2 days trying different combinations I'm certain that the tube does not touch the plate or freezer lines at any place. Excess  is coiled between the plate and the fridge wall away from both. As i mentioned before it works only if the end of the sensing tube is suspended mid air in the middle of the box. Even in this position, with t-stat set to the max compressor cycles infrequently and plate never gets super cold. It will work continuously  only when i hold the end of the tube in my fingers.
My entire family would appreciate very much your recommendation for source of t-stat replacement.  thank you

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:59:37 pm »
I am no longer in the business of selling parts but email me your mailing address and I will send you the correct new thermostat. After it solves your problem mail me a check for $30.

bumatsea

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 05:35:50 pm »
All better now. Tstat replaced and working just fine. Other one had to be faulty as all the makings were the same.  Very grateful
thank you