Author Topic: HELP New Adler/Barbour CU-100 Danfoss BD50F not getting very cold  (Read 8542 times)

Ellispe

• View Profile
Last year one of my buddies ice picked my vd-150 evaporator.  After months of research I decided to purchase a brand new CU-100  aka Danfoss –BD50F compressor and VD-150 Cold plate from Adler Barbour.  This combination has the self sealing aircraft fittings so that I could install it myself.   For a week I scoured over the instructions and once I was sure I had every question answered, and ever tool needed, I installed it following the instructions to the letter.  Please note, I have been fixing stuff on boats for 40 years and have a good handle on marine maintenance.

I left it on and when I came back in the morning I was surprised to see that only the back bottom of the evaporator had frosted over.  I checked the thermostat and tried it again. Unfortunately, nothing had changed.   I put a vertical  Ice tray and clamped it to the cold plate and it did freeze, so I know the plate is getting cold.  What seems to be the issue is that only a portion of the plate seems to be frosting?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I did notice that I hear a gurgling sound around the evaporator that I did not hear with my old one.  Also, the compressor does not seem to turn off. When I put a thermometer in the box it was getting it down to 40 .

So what do I do now ?.  I called Adler Barbour and they said perhaps the refrigerant is low, or perhaps there is a blockage in the evaporator.  They told me to call a service guy out there, but when I called they were all 2 or 3 hundred $$$ just to have a look.

My question is , is there a way I can try to put more refrigerant in myself, or does anyone have any  ideas what else it could be.  You help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Peter

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: HELP New Adler/Barbour CU-100 Danfoss BD50F not getting very cold
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:42:40 pm »
Adler Barbour knows what the problem is and they should pay to cover your costs to service it.

The first thing I would do is contact the place where you bought this unit. If it happens to be West Marine they have in the past seen that Adler Barbour paid for servicing unit. If you get no action from supplier tell them you are returning the complete system and want your money back. You purchased a pre-charged system and followed their instructions like many others and unit is now very low on refrigerant.

I can help you service system if need be, what is boats approx location?

Richard Kollmann

Ellispe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:13:05 am »
Richard,

Many thanks for the reply.  I purchased this from Defender Marine.  One Issue I have, is I purchased it last season and just installed it this year so I may have issues returning it to them. Also, in my boat the compressor is in the stern and the line had to be run through some very small channels in the bowls of the boat. I would hat e to have to pull it out.

I did contact Adler Barbour, and they gave me the phone numbers of a couple of service folks.  I am in Southern California in Redondo Beach.  I called them and they said that perhaps it’s low on refrigerant and if so I would be responsible, as if I lost the refrigerant during installation.  During my install, I do not think I could have turned the fittings any quicker, so I do not see how it would have gotten out.

I am afraid to the service folks down, as they charge and hourly rate and travel time.  So just for a look I ma going to be out a bunch of $$$.

Many Thanks

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 02:54:01 pm »

ANSWER

DIY instructions

It is a simple project to add refrigerant to your refrigeration unit the problem is to buy the refrigerant and connections needed to connect it to service fitting on top of compressor in California. The amount of refrigerant needed is about two ounces by weight. This is what is needed to complete the task:
A small 10 ounce can of pure 134a refrigerant with no additives like oil or stop leak. $10
A Tap A Can with hose and spring loaded special 134a connector on end of hose. $15

The above two items are enough to add 134a refrigerant to a new type automobile’s AC. Unfortunately Boat refrigeration industry did not convert their equipment to the new type 134a refrigerant service connectors. So you will need an adapter to convert present compressor service fitting over to a male connector that will snap into Tap A Can’s hose’s spring loaded female connector. This special conversion connector Freon to 134a  is available at most auto parts stores. There are two different size male conversion fittings you want the small one that will snap into Tap A Can’s hose spring loaded connector. $10

There are three lines connected to compressor one for pressure, one for refrigerant return and a short line that has the servicing port at its end. If you remove the cap over end of servicing port you will see a Schrader valve like the one in an automobile tire valve. The adapter that converts servicing fitting to 134a automotive standard comes in two different  types both have valve cores inside but only one will depress the existing valve core in your unit. Adapter that depressor existing is simple to install just screw it on tight using two wrenches and no refrigerant is lost. If adapter you bought is not equipped to allow both valve cores to operate in tandem. This means refrigerant must be removed and then valve core in compressor service port must be removed before screwing on 134a adaptor. Venting of any refrigerant into the atmosphere is a violation to the EPA regulations.

Procedures to add or top off refrigerant in a capillary tube system when system still has refrigerant in it:
•   With Tap A Can’s T handle backed out so it will not puncture can when installed attach Refrigerant can to it.
•   Assuming adapter conversion fitting is already installed on compressor’s service port and hose has not been attached to it. Screw Tap A Can T handle full clockwise till it punctures refrigerant can. Then in order to purge air from hose before connecting hose to compressor pressurizes hose by opening T handle a couple of turns. Close T handle again trapping refrigerant in hose. Now depress center pin in hose spring loaded connector to exhaust pressure in hose purging air out and connect hose to compressor adapter.
•   If refrigerator box and evaporator are warm say 70 º F or above with refrigerant bottle upright and refrigerator turned off open T handle valve to allow pressure in bottle to equalize with system pressure. Close clockwise T handle valve and start compressor.
•   Allow system to run for 30 minutes and check evaporator’s surface area for frost. Frost coverage may be very thin but if it is detected under your fingernail that area is good. You are looking for frost cover of  95% of surface area. If less than 95% add refrigerant for two seconds and wait 15 minutes before checking frosted areas again.
•   Disconnect spring loaded connector and install leak proof cap on service port adapter.
•   Let unit run for many hours and re inspect frosted areas. Correct frosted area coverage will depend on Climate conditions cool weather frost may cover only 90% of evaporator hot weather 100% , But there should be no frost on line outside refrigerator on line returning to compressor.

Ellispe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 04:01:50 pm »
Richard,

Many Thanks. This is great news. Online I see 134a tap a can valves that come with gauges.  Are Gauges somthing that would be helpfull ?. Also, would I be able to get the above mentioned items from you, or do you have a place you would recomend.

Many Thanks
Peter

jprince2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »
Ellispe,

I work for Dometic Environmental, and hope I can be of some assitance. The fact that the unit is running but not cooling, is very clear, that it's either a charge issue or a blockage. Once a dealer arrives on the boat and gets with us, we can work out the warranty details. As long as there are no obvious signs that the leak or blockage was caused by anything during the installation, we have no problem covering it under our normal warranty allowances. If the dealer has any questions, please feel free to have them call me. My name is Jacob Prince.

There is no way to prove whether a low charge is due to being under charged from the factory, or the charge was lost during installation, so we take care of it. As long as there are no obvious signs of leakage.

Hope this helps.

Ellispe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 06:34:39 pm »
Jacob,

This is great news.  Would you have a recomended dealer I can contact in my area. My Boat is in Redondo Beach, California zip 90277.

Many Thanks
Peter

jprince2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:18:29 am »
Go to www.dometic.com/marinedealers and put your zip code. This will show you all dealers within a 25 mile radius. The distributor for that area is Southern Cal Marine. You can reach them at 619-224-1606. Although they are in San Diego, they have dealers all the way up to Alaska so they can refer you to someone in your area.