Author Topic: Need to replace my Danfoss 2.5 compressor  (Read 4287 times)

marley

• View Profile
Need to replace my Danfoss 2.5 compressor
« on: October 19, 2012, 03:57:13 pm »
I have a VW 4x4 van imported from germany that has an older Danfoss compressor that run the frig.  The fan runs just fine but I cannot get the compressor to turn on - it just cylces.  I am planning to Dirve to Costa Rica from California in 2 weeks and need an replacement quick.  Anyone have something that can replace my 2.5 Danfoss compressor

wrcsixeight

Re: Need to replace my Danfoss 2.5 compressor
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:02 pm »
Sounds like low voltage.  Check battery and wiring leading to controller

marley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 09:21:44 pm »
That's exactly what I thought but cannot find the problem - new battery, all wires reconnected and still same thing. . . I hooked it directly to the battery and and same thing - fan goes on but no compressor and again cycles. 

wrcsixeight

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:43:24 pm »
Replacing whole fridge might be same $$ as replacing compressor.  Google Truckfridge.  Visit the Samba, westyventures.

I got a Vitrifrigo fedex'd to California from Florida in a week.  TF's mail from Kentucky

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 12:29:04 pm »

Replacing BD2.5 compressor to the newer BD 134a unit is a major project best replace complete system. This type compressor do not normally fail suggest you follow these instruction:
 No start up troubleshooting 4 pin modules consists of the following:

1. Place jumper wire across thermostat terminals, Compressor still does not run.

2. Disconnect black fan wire from electronic module. Compressor still does not run after fan ground wire is disconnected. One of the 10 transistors in this fan fails it can cause module to prevent compressor from running or fan is drawing too much current.
 If  Compressor runs after black wire disconnected replace fan.

3. Run correct size and correct polarity fused jumper wires direct from a fully charged battery to module in order to bypass all boat’s wiring. Volt meter readings are of NO VALUE at module. Now if compressor runs there is a bad electrical connection somewhere in boats wiring causing a low voltage spike during compressor startup. Please do not tell me voltage is good....
Compressor still does not run electronic module needs to be tested on another unit.