Author Topic: Cleaning water cooled compressor  (Read 2841 times)

Rmax

Cleaning water cooled compressor
« on: November 04, 2012, 08:36:37 am »
Richard, in your reply to my question about the current draw of my refrigeration unit you mentioned the possibility of marine growth reducing its cooling capacity.  When I remove the filter in the water line to the unit it is full of black growth.  Even though the fridge is working fine and there is plenty of water flow, I am wondering if you think this kind of growth is in the cooling tubes in the condenser.  If so, what is the best way to clean it out without damaging the tubing?

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning water cooled compressor
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 02:23:13 pm »
Because seawater condensers operate warm grass and other things from the sea grow inside it. On live aboard boats in warm water flushing out condenser once a year might be a good idea. I always suggest non destructive testing first when possible. If you want to check efficiency of seawater cooling check temperature of refrigerant's small line going into condenser and the other coming out. Line going in is very hot, then when touching it, line coming out of condenser should be 90 to 110 degrees if condenser cooling is sufficient. Condenser refrigerant temperatures will be lower in cold seawater and higher when box is warm or when seawater is above 80 degrees F.

A mild acid solution like white vinegar will loosen unwanted material then 30 minutes later pressure from hose will drive lose dead material out. 

Rmax

Re: Cleaning water cooled compressor
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 02:55:27 pm »
Thanks, I'll do that.

BTW, I bought your book on 12v refrigeration and it is excellent.