Author Topic: Adler barbour melted fuse  (Read 4361 times)

trawler scott

Adler barbour melted fuse
« on: May 06, 2014, 01:38:14 pm »
I have a Adler barbour super cold machine that was clicking on and off pretty often for a couple days then shut down, When I looked at the unit itself I saw the top 15 amp fuse was melted. I have not replaced the fuse yet, any idea what may have caused this?

Scott

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Adler barbour melted fuse
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:10:00 pm »
If you have one of the newer Adler Barbour Model CU100 or CU200 and the fuse is mounted in the stainless steel box problem is in the circuit board behind the fuse. The correction is a simple as bypass the fuse assembly.  Look for signs of overheating at fuse mounting.

If unit is one of the older units and 15 amp fuse is mounted on Danfoss electronic control module problem is control module.

Identify what unit you have and describe condition of fuse holder so I can provide a way to correct problem.

trawler scott

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 05:42:45 pm »
It is a newer model with the stainless box, the front of the fuse holder itself is damaged from the fuse heat and looking from the backside of the green circuit board you can see darkening around where the fuse holder is soldered into it. Could you give me details on bypassing the fuse assembly?

Thanks
Scott

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 06:03:50 pm »
Chances are the circuit board's printed circuit is cracked near fuse. See TECH TIP #1 on front page of my web site http://www.kollmann-marine.com. Best solution is to place a jumper wire from power in wire at stainless box and connect it to large + Plus terminal on Danfoss Module. Replace fuse and make sure there is a 15 amp fuse or circuit breaker and no larger protecting boats refrigerator wiring. Do you ever use the water pump option?

trawler scott

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 06:20:27 pm »
The water pump has not been plumbed so I have not used it. The unit is wired through a 15 amp breaker. I will follow the instructions under tech tip #1  and let you know how it goes.

Thanks
Scott
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:41:00 pm by trawler scott »

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:39:13 pm »
The picture of circuit board in Tech Tip #1 is of the ground ribbon failure your type failure is hidden on other side. My guess is that bumping or pushing on terminal screws and board structure weak is cause of these failures. I will not be able to confirm cause of failures until I get one of these failed boards. But since board is an unnecessary gadget most boaters are just eliminating it

trawler scott

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:48:55 am »
I did a jumper by cutting the power wire off the back of the circuit board and tying it into the main power wire that goes into the front of the stainless box. When I turned the power on it powered up and seamed normal, frosting started around the fittings at top of the plate and I started cleaning up the fridge, about 5 minutes into it the unit cut off a
showing 3 flashes from the led. I let it sit a few minutes and tried again, the compressor did not start this time I just got 3 flashes.

Scott

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 02:09:06 pm »
You needed to keep power wire on stainless box terminal and added to it one end of jumper wire. The other end of jumper wire must be connected to module large + terminal along with present power wire.

What you have with jumper is two wires on stainless box power in and two wires on power in to Danfoss module.  When circuit breaker is turned on power will be supplied through stainless box in both directions.  Compressor and fan must now run.

trawler scott

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 09:08:15 pm »
I removed the stainless box and followed the instructions except for the led. It has been running for 48 hours or so and everything seams well except I have not seen or heard it cycle. The temperature is steady at 34-35 degrees. I replaced the thermostat about a year ago(mechanical)

Scott

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 03:42:37 pm »
You need to check thermostat if it does not cycle compressor off and on to make sure it is wired correctly.  To test wiring turn knob to below #1 until it clicks off. If compressor stops wiring is correct.

I would like to get the bad board from you as I am trying to find a way to prevent these failures. Your board failure is the third one this week. Are there any changes you would recommend to my TECH TIP #1 on this problem?

trawler scott

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 04:12:26 pm »
I will gladly send you the board(let me know where to send it)I also have a module that I wouldn't mind having checked if you don't mind. I think a simple diagram showing the jumper wiring would be good. I really appreciate your help.

Scott

trawler scott

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 04:15:19 pm »
I turned the knob all the way to the left maybe past 1? you can feel a spot that kind of clicks, it turned the unit off.

Scott