Author Topic: AB cold machine with R409A ?  (Read 2190 times)

PaulO

• View Profile
AB cold machine with R409A ?
« on: June 19, 2014, 06:11:02 pm »
I recently had 9" of water in my 36ft Beneteau sailboat, this killed my air conditioning and AB cold machine refrigeration.

I want to replace the cold machine with a new unit but want to keep the existing evaporator. Both the evaporator and compressor have labels applied over
the factory labels saying that this unit contains R409A.  The 2002 factory tag attached to the compressor lists R134A as the refrigerant.
I can only guess that someone recharged the system with R409A.

Can I install a new AB cold machine using R143A with quick connect adapters and keep the existing evaporator, filling it with R143A even though it may have at one time contained R409A?

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: AB cold machine with R409A ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:47:01 pm »
You should not replace the Compressor/Condensing unit without replacing evaporator at the same time. What ever reason you would have for replacing this unit will still be there if you keep evaporator, plus there will be no warrantee on new compressor.

Refrigerant 409a is a blend of three refrigerants Freon R22 is the larger percentage, 50%. Because of global warming R22 is no longer available in new units and is being phased out. Refrigerant 409a is not what I recommend for boats cruising in tropical climates.

I could sell you the Module, Fan and Thermostat for $225 plus $15 shipping. If these items do not solve your problem return them within 30 days and I will return to you $225.