Author Topic: Seafrost BDxp  (Read 3009 times)

CaptnSteve

• View Profile
Seafrost BDxp
« on: May 07, 2015, 12:40:28 pm »
So, I have a Seafrost BDxp, 12 volt, air cooled, BD80 compressor, electronic thermostat with AEO function, constant pressure valve factory set at 3 lbs,   9 year old  system, operating as a freezer with two stainless steel thin wall holding plates.  The module, cooling fan, and thermostat are 2 months old.  She stopped cooling one night, and the compressor would not restart.  Many talks with Seafrost.  If I let out refrigerant (134a), dropping low side to around 25 lbs, the  compressor starts with no error codes showing.  Very slowly add 134a watching high and low pressures - 3 lbs lo side,  120 to 130 hi side,  about 85 degrees ambient temp).  The  CP valve will frost over, the first plate may get cold but not frost, and the compressor continues to run, but no cooling after 5 hours.  If I shut the system down, it will not restart.  Compressor thunks,  then a 3 led flash - no start error code. I have 13 volts +/- at both battery and at the unit,   12.7 at the unit on start up attempts with about an 11 amp draw at attempted start.  When running,  7 amp draw which is about normal.  Refrigerant  had been added perhaps 6 or 7 times before the problem occurred due to slow leaking. 
The high side line from the compressor to the condensor has, for some time now,  not gotten even warm,  but the system has cooled just fine, running about 30% of the time.
I'm at a loss  --  any ideas?

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Seafrost BDxp
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 05:16:08 am »
Three LED flash codes is a compressor overload signal caused by high amperage from:

Too much refrigerant
Contaminated refrigerant or moisture in refrigerant.
A three flash code was not the first code recognized at start up and was masked over by second code that is always a quick restart overload of 3 flashes.
A resistance connection in ground wire from module to battery
Module faulty
Compressor internal trouble but not likely.

Suggestions
With system at ambient temperature and compressor not running add refrigerant till system pressure is 50 psi. If you are able to get compressor to run add refrigerant till  high pressure is 105 psi.

Make sure that the fist code signaled when starting compressor is 3 flash.

Next thing I would then do is use a temporary wire jumper replacing present ground from module direct to battery ground.

I am concerned that adding refrigerant because of a leak may have let in a small amount of air or moisture. The only way to rule out contaminated refrigerant or moisture is to super dehydrate system with a refrigerant vacuum pump for 4 hours. This is because Ester oil now used is in this compressor is difficult to get water out of.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:53:00 pm by Richard »

CaptnSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:17:17 am »
Thanks Richard

I will double check the ground wire connection.  The module is new, but even Seafrost says it could be defective.  I still have the old one which was working at removal.oat

I have sought out some help, and we have been evacuating for 15 hours now. Today we plan to try a Nitrogen purge, then a suck down, and a charge.  We'll see what happens.  The tech suspects moisture and contamination due to multiple top ups.

I'll let you know.  Oh,  we did pull the expansion valve out, and there was pressure on both sides, hi and lo.  Is the only way to remove excess oil by dumping the compressor upside down?  I had the too much oil  issue on a Frigoboat with a BD35 and keel cooler.  That particular unit is still running 15 yrs old (after dumping the oil, filling with proper amount, a new evaporator, and recharge)

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 03:59:35 am »
Follow up were you able to solve problem with Seafrost system?

CaptnSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 12:40:22 pm »
Hi Richard

I wanted to get back to you on my Seafrost problem from earlier this year.  It turned out to be the compressor.  I hand carried the compressor unit back to Seafrost,  all the way from Antigua,  and when they checked it out,  the compressor was totally blocked and would not allow air or gas through.  So, I'll be carrying the new unit back to the boat in January and hope all goes well.

Thanks for your advice along the way

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 07:14:18 am »

What advice did SeaFrost give you for this refrigerant flow restriction? And how to prevent this from happening again? There is a very small short line maybe 1/8 inch OD between output of compressor cylinder head and 1/4 in outlet fitting on compressor. There is also a fine mesh screen on inlet of compressor pump cylinder. Either of these areas can be restricted.

If I were to offer a guess of what caused the blockage it would be oil sludge or solid material. Solution might be to install a larger than normal Solid core filter/dryer and a second filter on suction line. When installing filters they should be vertical with flow arrow pointing down to prevent oil traps in filters.