Author Topic: Ok I need help!!  (Read 3410 times)

Cahoots5

• View Profile
Ok I need help!!
« on: June 20, 2015, 10:05:56 pm »
Advice please, I have a AB VD-160 cold plate and a CU-100 condenser, but not the refrig. lines in the photos, looks to me there is a cap tube in the line set. So do I go Cap Tub, or do I go with a Expansion Valve, at this point?? I can weld up the fittings to do the valve or is there a recommended, cap tub size? how long to feed the cold plate?. Yes I have a mess on my hands, but some one may have been down this road. I'm thinking a TXV and a receiver is the way to go? Your comments please.
Thanks Steve 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:51:37 pm by Richard »

Richard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ok I need help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 02:17:59 pm »
The VD160 is used in small 4 cu ft boxes and as far as a holding plate it was a joke. Using an expansion valve and receiver would be expensive and because there is very little eutectic solution in plate no real advantage with the VD160 I would stay with a cap tube sized for 500 Btu capacity.

I would use a #5 Bullet cap tube cut to 97 inches long. One problem might be the newer VD160 power plates had no way to replace cap tube as it entered plate inside suction line.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:53:53 pm by Richard »

Cahoots5

• View Profile
Re: Ok I need help!!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 07:39:15 pm »
Hi Richard: Installed the 97" Cap Tube today and pumped the system down to 125 microns pit about 3 Oz by scale :) :) 134a started up the system it started cooling with about the last 3" of the cap tub starting to frost there, the plate was getting cold, I will go back tomorrow and play with the charge a bit more thanks for your advise Steve :)